2018 Golden Slipper Sale Mail
Tara Madgwick - Wednesday, 12 July 2017
Nominations for the 2018 Group I ATC Golden Slipper Stakes represent a considerable slice of the commercially bred rising two year-olds of 2017/2018 so we thought a Sale Mail and analysis might prove interesting.

From a total 2195 entries released by the ATC last week 73% were offered at auction while the remaining 27% were either bought privately, leased or retained to race by their breeders.

Of those youngsters that went to the sales 34% came through an Inglis auction, 34% from Magic Millions and 5% from NZB.

The Inglis Easter sale-topper is nominated for the SlipperThis year at Australasian yearling sales we had 23 horses sell for $1million or more with 22 being nominated for the Golden Slipper including the Redoute's Choice colt from Secluded that made $2.5 million at Inglis Easter to be the most expensive yearling of 2018.

That colt is a full brother to this season's star two year-old Pariah, who won his first barrier trial since the Golden Slipper at Randwick on Monday.

The most represented sire with 105 entries is Snitzel, while Zoustar is the most highly represented of the first season sires with 55.

Godolphin is the biggest nominator with 152 youngsters, followed by the Hayes/Dabernig team with 108 and Waterhouse/Bott stable with 90.

The Godolphin contingent includes 31 by Exceed and Excel, 24 by Lonhro and 18 by Medaglia D'Oro (USA), all three sires having tasted Golden Slipper success previously, albeit not for Godolphin.

With a new trainer in James Cummings at the helm, a Golden Slipper win would be a high priority for Godolphin and there are plenty of obvious contenders on pedigree!

How about the full sister to Golden Slipper winner Pierro (Right Chord), a Lonhro colt, the first foal of Guelph (Encryption), an unnamed Lonhro filly from Golden Slipper winner Forensics and an Exceed and Excel colt from Group I winner Neroli (Nindamos).

Click here to see all the Golden Slipper nominations sortable by Nominator, Sire, Dam, plus Sale, Vendor, Buyer and Price for those offered at auction.


Follow Us